Blogger Templates

A Play Of Love

A scene out of a bride hunt, where the guy and his parents go to see the girl in her home.

Characters in the Play:

GD: Girl's Dad
GM: Girl's Mom
BD: Boy's Dad
BM: Boy's Mom
Radha: The Girl
Krishna: The Boy

[Krishna and his parents walk into the girl's home through the lush garden with neatly arranged flower pots.

GD[smiling, greets the guests]: Hello! Welcome! Please come in!

SCENE I
Hall in Radha's home.

[Pleasantaries are exchanged as all are seated comfortably on the red velvet sofas in the large hall. Krishna looks around the luxuriously furnished home, and smiles to himself at the thought of living here as son-in-law.]

[Tea, cookies and sweets are served on the glass teapoy as parents take charge to showcase their respective assets]

GD[in an air of pride]: We have few acres of rubber plantations around here and some tea estates, and then this big house. We got an architect from Mumbai to build it!
Whatever we have, it's all for our only daughter. After 20 years in Dubai, I felt it's enough and good to settle down here.
BD[enthusiastically]: We were also in Abu Dhabi for around 30 years. Our son has been a topper from his nursery. He sings very well also, has sung for albums too.
He is a team lead now, and is getting offers from many other companies too.
[these are the times when the parents overdo it and Krishna wishes he could disappear from the scene. Only he knows how hard he's trying to cling on to his current job]

GM: Where do you work, son?
Krishna[gotta be humble to impress the Mom]: Aunty, its a small company called HP.
GM: Oh..come on! That's a big company of course, we have all heard of it - Hindustan Petroleum!
Krishna: Uh..hmm...Aunty, actually this is Hewlett Packard, not Hindustan Petroleum
GM[Languidly]: Oh I see...never heard of it, never mind. Have your tea!
Krishna[now desperate, teacup in one hand and a cookie in the other]: It's a very big company, Aunty... They make computers and all, you might have seen ads on TV and in papers. It's an American company.
[There is silence for a moment as people finish their tea]

GD[to his wife]: Call Radha...
GM[calling to her daughter]: Radha...! Come!

[A pretty looking girl draped in a lovely green saree, emerges out of the curtains, and stands shy next to her Mom. Her curls fall on her forehead as she smiles....Krishna feels the hall is suddenly lit up as she smiles, and his heart almost skips a beat or two]
Krishna:[telling himself, 'Hmm...She looks really nice, man...a little thin, but I think that's ok...']

BM[all smiles, seems impressed with the girl]: What are you doing now, daughter?
Radha[smiling, and in the softest tone]: I finished my engineering and now am working for a company called FunnySoft in Bangalore...
GM: Where did you do your schooling?
Radha: I studied in Dubai till my 10th, and later came to Kerala to continue my studies.

BD[nudging the son]: Okay, go and talk to her!
Krishna[mumbling irritantly]: Dad! Wait...
BD[to Radha's Dad]: I think we should let the guy and girl talk something in private if they want to.

[Krishna tells himself 'Now's the time to prove myself!' Radha walks into an adjacent room, and he follows suit, as if in a trance.]

SCENE II
A room in Radha's home.

[They sit on chairs facing each other. There is laptop on the table in the corner and the windows have pink curtains drawn on them. The door is half open, how Krishna wished the door was shut, so that he could open out his heart fully. Now, there was always the possiblity of her Dad eavesdropping]

Radha:[telling herself, 'God, this guy is gross and looks like a retard with that cap on his bald head!']

Krishna[smiling and in his most polished accent]: So, what are your hobbies, Radha?
Radha: I like to watch movies, read books, meet friends.
Krishna[leaning forward, showing interest]: Oh, that's really interesting, what kind of books do you read?
Radha: Sidney Sheldon, Jeffrey Archer kind, do u read?
Krishna[trying to prove the intellectual in him]: Ya, I read the kind you know...Paulo Coelho, Oscar Wilde, Osho. I also enjoy solving puzzles and sudoku and the kind, serves as food for my brain!
[the girl forces a smile, now confirming that the guy is a moron]
So, Radha, what are your future plans?
Radha: I like to visit the US, and if possible, stay there for a few years. Have you been abroad?
Krishna[who never had plans to go abroad]: Hmmm(clearing his throat)!!! I haven't been abroad, but I think it's a wonderful idea to work abroad for a few years. Good money and lifestyle, you see!
Radha: Oh ya, that's true! I always wanted to go abroad. Do you party often? Where do you hang out?
Krishna[a hard core drunkard, who can't remember a day he has not partied, and mostly in the cheapest & dingiest bars in Bangalore]:
No! I absolutely hate parties...What a waste of time and money! I usually prefer to stay at home, and keep away from friends. Only on some rare occasions, like friend's birthdays or weddings, we get together. Otherwise, no and I'm a teetotaller. We party at the decent places like Koshy's, Ebony, Samarkhand. Good ambience and hygiene is very important while you dine, I don't like to compromise on that.[finishes with a victorious smile, convinced that he has proven the gentleman in him]
Radha: Oh...that's nice, even I agree with you on that!
Krishna[thinking how he can stay in touch]: Ah...By the way, are you on orkut?
Radha: Yes, I am, but am not active on it, though.
Krishna: Ok...Can I call you sometime?
Radha: Err..Actually I'm using my Dad's cell these days....You can call on that if you want.
[Krishna's heart sinks....but decides he should express now before its all over]
Krishna[Goes on his knees and proposes to her]: Radha, I love you! Truly, madly, deeply!!! Will you marry me?
Radha[jumps up, shocked and screams]: Daddy!!!


BEEEEEEP

10 comments:

Ravi Chandran said...

Very nice innovative writing :).

Nice way to portray yourself in the play. Each scene can be visualized as i read through those lines.

Its nice to read through what lies behind theirs minds but they speak something else out.

Expecting more plays from you :)

Cheers

ABH said...

Hi Sunil, nice and humorous post:) Out of your experiences is it? :) I was sipping my tea and having breakfast while I read this and got choked as the humour was injected :)

And, I think you should copyright this scene...lot of copy cats on blogs these days :)

Indeed a humorous post! :)

VIJDREAMZ said...

Hi Koshy..

I laughed through..i say in single sentecne..

Truly, madly, deeply!! Liked it... :)

Deepti said...

Nice one sunil... its very very entertaining. if u have plans to enact the play u know whom to contact for the role RADHA!!

Unknown said...

Ravi...
Thank you...Krishna is not me, all characters in this play are fictitious, and any resemblance to anyone alive/dead is purely out of imagination :).

Archana...
Happy that the post made you laugh! :) What?...copycats on blogs also!?! That's so pathetic!

cheers...

Unknown said...

Vijay...
Thank you so much :) Happy you liked it!

Deepti,
Thanks for reading the post! I do have plans to enact the play...and yes, now I know whom to contact to play Radha, thank you! :)


cheers...

Unknown said...

That was reeeellly reeellly (really really) cool.....i laughed....haah really....Hindustan Petroleoum.....haaaaha.....hmmm Good Good Good.....In the last scene i was seeing u on ur knees.......struggling to get on ur feet when Radha screams......hahah

Chetana Viswanath said...

Sunil,

Good one... the scene where the guy proposes to her is too good... The girl must have freaked out.. Dont ever try this stunt...
This post will keep a smile on my face throughout the day :)

Unknown said...

Pramod...
Glad that I could make you laugh :)!
I drew inspirations from lots of stories about girl seeing, that I hear from friends and my own :)

Chetana...
I won't try this stunt...:D
Happy that the post put a smile on your face :)


thanks,
sunil.

ANURADHA VASUDEVA said...

haha funny sunil.. Is it "insapired" by real life story ?? ;)

Post a Comment